**UPDATE - January 18, 2014**
Revised free patterns - in both knitted and crochet versions - now available on my current blog, FC Knits.
Simple Tree Mittens can now be crafted as: Original (Knitted), Seamless (Knitted) or Crochet!
Cast on 24 stitches using 4 mm (US: 6) knitting needles and DK yarn.
1. *k2, p2; repeat from * to end
2. *p2, k2; repeat from * to end
3. *k2, p2; repeat from * to end
4. *p2, k2; repeat from * to end
5. *k2, p2; repeat from * to end
Change yarns at this point, if you wish to use 2 colours.
7-16. work 10 rows of st st (beginning with a knit row)
17. *k2tog tbl; repeat from * to end
19. *k2tog tbl; repeat from * to end
Cut yarn with a long tail, thread through the last 6 stitches and pull tight. Use the yarn tail to sew up the side seam. Weave in ends.
Make a cord for your hanging loop - crochet a single chain, knit a single row and bind off or plait some wool - and sew to the top corner. Make a small pompom (the fork method works best for tiny sizes) and attach to the top corner, under your hanging loop.